Difference: InterOpNov2009Sem (1 vs. 4)

Revision 42012-06-26 - root

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpNov2009"
(back to main program page InterOpNov2009#Program)

Plenary introduction

Monday --Aud

Slides here

Semantics Session at the November 2009 Interop Meeting

Wednesday 09.00-10.30 -- ESO Council Room


Semantics Session: Preliminary Schedule

Speaker Title Time
     
Sebastien Derriere Introduction 09:00
  Vocabularies .pdf 09:10
  Voc for VOEvent    
  Voc for Charac Obs DM    
  Semantic annotations in web documents 09:45  
Norman Gray Future of Semantics WG 10:00  
       

Semantics session notes :

  • Vocabularies document
    • Became a REC in October 2009
    • There are five implementations
  • Vocabulary mapping
    • Explicator application http://explicator.dcs.gla.ac.uk/code/
    • For example used to declare mappings of Vizier keywords to journal keywords
    • Mapping is critical
    • The reference vocabularies do NOT contain mappings (they are in external files)
    • Rick: journals could force authors to add keywords to published tables
      • have a tool producing tables with proper description and Latex ?
    • Matthew: include vocabulary terms in ontology files or not?
  • Rick: we need a document describing how to create vocabularies in practice
    • Sebastien: there is a guide for registry users. This could serve as a model for a Vocabularies 'howto'
    • Perhaps produce such a document after someone has gone through the process. For example, the VOEvent people
    • Catalina use a very small vocabulary
    • Rick: start such a guide on an IVOA wiki page
  • Matthew: VOEvent 'why' sections aren't currently being used
    • Maybe this is a chicken-and-egg problem
    • Expect to get takeup later
  • Vocabularies WG support other WGs
    • how?
    • Need expressed from VOEvent, Char'n DM, ObsTAP, Registry/VOResources
    • Matthew: Data Mining IG aims to produce an ontology of data mining tasks, suitable for some sort of Semantic Web Services
  • Vocabularies in the registry
    • Various people have looked at this problem, though not in a great deal of detail
    • Sebastien: some registry subject entries are remarkably useless!
    • Possibly develop a 'dictionary' service, which helps users find vocabulary definitions (building on the definitions and scope notes within the SKOS file) : just a matter of code!
  • Matthew : parsing astronomical telegrams : what's in there ?
  • RDFa for astronomers
    • Illustrating including SAMP properties within an HTML page
    • eg: a samp.coord.pointAt.sky element
  • Vocabulary development
    • Mediawiki http://vocabularies.referata.com
    • Possible to output RDF, and then have SKOS
    • Norman/Stuart will put IVOAT (from Rick) and VOEvent (from Matthew) on http://referata.com
    • Rick: publish Utype data models on our own initiative
    • Rick suggested that it would be useful to make the wiki page as basic as possible. But as it's currently hosted (on referata.com) there's a limit to what we can customise
    • These services could potentially be hosted on an amazon EC2 instance (USD 0.10/instance/hour -> USD 876.60 /year)
      • be careful with bandwith cost too!

Session summary

Thursday -- Aud 14:00

Slides


META FILEATTACHMENT attr="" comment="Slides for semantic session" date="1257926867" name="semantics_session.pdf" path="semantics_session.pdf" size="292385" user="SebastienDerriere" version="1.1"

Revision 32009-11-12 - SebastienDerriere

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpNov2009"
Added:
>
>
(back to main program page InterOpNov2009#Program)
 
Added:
>
>

Plenary introduction

Monday --Aud

Slides here

 

Semantics Session at the November 2009 Interop Meeting

Wednesday 09.00-10.30 -- ESO Council Room

Deleted:
<
<
(back to main program page InterOpNov2009#Program)
 

Semantics Session: Preliminary Schedule

Speaker Title Time
     
Sebastien Derriere Introduction 09:00
Changed:
<
<
  Vocabularies 09:10
>
>
  Vocabularies .pdf 09:10
 
  Voc for VOEvent    
  Voc for Charac Obs DM    
  Semantic annotations in web documents 09:45  
Norman Gray Future of Semantics WG 10:00  
       
Added:
>
>

Semantics session notes :

 
Added:
>
>
  • Vocabularies document
    • Became a REC in October 2009
    • There are five implementations
  • Vocabulary mapping
    • Explicator application http://explicator.dcs.gla.ac.uk/code/
    • For example used to declare mappings of Vizier keywords to journal keywords
    • Mapping is critical
    • The reference vocabularies do NOT contain mappings (they are in external files)
    • Rick: journals could force authors to add keywords to published tables
      • have a tool producing tables with proper description and Latex ?
    • Matthew: include vocabulary terms in ontology files or not?
  • Rick: we need a document describing how to create vocabularies in practice
    • Sebastien: there is a guide for registry users. This could serve as a model for a Vocabularies 'howto'
    • Perhaps produce such a document after someone has gone through the process. For example, the VOEvent people
    • Catalina use a very small vocabulary
    • Rick: start such a guide on an IVOA wiki page
  • Matthew: VOEvent 'why' sections aren't currently being used
    • Maybe this is a chicken-and-egg problem
    • Expect to get takeup later
  • Vocabularies WG support other WGs
    • how?
    • Need expressed from VOEvent, Char'n DM, ObsTAP, Registry/VOResources
    • Matthew: Data Mining IG aims to produce an ontology of data mining tasks, suitable for some sort of Semantic Web Services
  • Vocabularies in the registry
    • Various people have looked at this problem, though not in a great deal of detail
    • Sebastien: some registry subject entries are remarkably useless!
    • Possibly develop a 'dictionary' service, which helps users find vocabulary definitions (building on the definitions and scope notes within the SKOS file) : just a matter of code!
  • Matthew : parsing astronomical telegrams : what's in there ?
  • RDFa for astronomers
    • Illustrating including SAMP properties within an HTML page
    • eg: a samp.coord.pointAt.sky element
  • Vocabulary development
    • Mediawiki http://vocabularies.referata.com
    • Possible to output RDF, and then have SKOS
    • Norman/Stuart will put IVOAT (from Rick) and VOEvent (from Matthew) on http://referata.com
    • Rick: publish Utype data models on our own initiative
    • Rick suggested that it would be useful to make the wiki page as basic as possible. But as it's currently hosted (on referata.com) there's a limit to what we can customise
    • These services could potentially be hosted on an amazon EC2 instance (USD 0.10/instance/hour -> USD 876.60 /year)
      • be careful with bandwith cost too!
 
Added:
>
>

Session summary

Thursday -- Aud 14:00

Slides

 
<--  
-->
Changed:
<
<
>
>
 
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="" comment="Slides for semantic session" date="1257926867" name="semantics_session.pdf" path="semantics_session.pdf" size="292385" user="SebastienDerriere" version="1.1"

Revision 22009-11-11 - SebastienDerriere

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpNov2009"

Semantics Session at the November 2009 Interop Meeting

Wednesday 09.00-10.30 -- ESO Council Room

(back to main program page InterOpNov2009#Program)


Semantics Session: Preliminary Schedule

Speaker Title Time
     
Sebastien Derriere Introduction 09:00
  Vocabularies 09:10
  Voc for VOEvent    
  Voc for Charac Obs DM    
  Semantic annotations in web documents 09:45  
Norman Gray Future of Semantics WG 10:00  
       


<--  
-->
Added:
>
>
 
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="" comment="Slides for semantic session" date="1257926867" name="semantics_session.pdf" path="semantics_session.pdf" size="292385" user="SebastienDerriere" version="1.1"
 

Revision 12009-11-08 - SebastienDerriere

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpNov2009"

Semantics Session at the November 2009 Interop Meeting

Wednesday 09.00-10.30 -- ESO Council Room

(back to main program page InterOpNov2009#Program)


Semantics Session: Preliminary Schedule

Speaker Title Time
     
Sebastien Derriere Introduction 09:00
  Vocabularies 09:10
  Voc for VOEvent    
  Voc for Charac Obs DM    
  Semantic annotations in web documents 09:45  
Norman Gray Future of Semantics WG 10:00  
       


<--  
-->
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback