International Virtual Observatory Alliance
VOResource V0.8.3: an Overview of a Resource Data Model
Ray Plante (NCSA/UIUC)
5 October 2003
This VOResource schema defines the IVOA Resource Metadata in XML. The
core metadata, which applies to all resources, is defined in
VOResource-vxxx.xsd. Specialized resource classes, such as
Organization and DataCollection, are defined in
extension schemas. This overview describes version 0.8.3, listing the
changes from v0.8.2 and describing the overall structure of the
- 1. Files to Review
- 2. Overview of Changes
- 3. Data Model Structure
- 4. Current Issues
1. Files to Review
This new version of the Resource data model is split between a core schema,
VOResource, and several extension schemas, defined in separate
schemas. The schemas are:
The following two extensions are examples of extensions that define
two standard sky services. These are included for indicative
An example describing several resources, including an
Organisation, two Authoritys, a DataCollection,
and three Services, associated with the
Astronomy Digital Image Library (ADIL):
2. Overview of Changes
- set the minimum mandatory elements for
describing a Resource.
- dropped ManagedResource; sub-classes now derive directly
- Facility and Instrument moved from core Resource
metadata to specialized sub-classes.
- added Resource attributes, created, updated, and
status, used by registries to manage resource
- added Source element.
- moved Description, ReferenceURL, and Source as
children of new element Summary.
- Restructured Interface contents.
- added optional LogicalIdentifier
- dropped Contact/Address and Contact/Phone.
- corrected misspelling of "categoryType"
- added "Other" and "DataTransformation" to possible
- made RelatedTo a ResourceReferenceType, allowing
Title, Description, and ReferenceURL to be
- changed names of Relationship types to match RM.
- added role attribute to Date allow multiple
- Dropped Manages from Organisation
- added Facility and Instrument to Organisation
- added Access/AccessURL to DataCollection
- added Facility and Instrument to SkyService
- changed ParamHTTPGet to ParamHTTP (supporting
Post as well).
- added VOTableColumns
3. Data Model Structure
element name links for detailed documentation on that element.
- The generic
Resource describes any thing that is describably
- The minimum mandatory elements include:
- Arrow denotes an "is-A" relationship, e.g. a
Service is a
- defined in VODataService-v0.3.xsd
- adds Coverage, Resolution, and
- Coverage draws on the Space-Time Coordinates metadata.
AccessURL can hold URL to file or directory for trivial
4. Current Issues
- Spatial coverage from the STC is not yet incorporated.
- Facility and Instrument reserved for
Resource subclasses: Organisation,
Project, DataCollection, and
Last modified: Tue Apr 22 13:09:50 2003