Works done by the Theory I.G. are divided in three packages.
Simulation Access Protocol
Most efforts are now done on the definition of an access protocol to access theoretical data through the Virtual Observatory.
Some use cases relevant to theoretical spectra are already taken into account in the Simple Spectral Access Protocol.
the access protocol for theoretical data, will cover more use cases.
roadmap to converge to a PR has been precised during the Paris 2014 meeting
Simulation Data Model
The Simulation Data Model 1.0 has been recommended by EXEC on May 3rd 2012.
- The recommendation can be found <a target="_blank" href="http://www.ivoa.net/documents/SimDM/" title="SimDM recommendation">here</a>
- The implementation note is <a target="_blank" href="http://www.ivoa.net/documents/Notes/ImplementationSimDM" title="SimDM implementation note">here</a>
Activities on this package are now dormant.
SKOS concepts are used in the Simulation Data Model to describe quantities. The development of these vocabularies (physical quantities, algorithms, ...) is an ongoing process. Some of these vocabularies are accessible on this site
During the IVOA executive meeting of Jan. 2004 in Garching, Germany, the IVOA Theory Interest Group was formed with the goal of ensuring that theoretical data and services are taken into account in the IVOA standards process. In a whitepaper
published on the IVOA site issues specific to theory are discussed. The document also summarizes tasks that a possible theory working group should accomplish, listed here as a proposed charter for the group.
The IVOA Theory Interest Group will:
After Victoria May-2010 Interop, we refer as simulation to any kind of theoretical data/archive/result that can be used in the VO.
- Provide a forum for discussing theory specific issues in a VO context.
- Contribute to other IVOA working groups to ensure that theory specific requirements are included.
- Incorporate standard approaches defined in these groups when designing and implementing services on theoretical archives.
- Define standard services relevant for theoretical archives.
- Promote development of services for comparing theoretical results to observations and vice versa.
- Define relevant milestones and assign specific tasks to interested parties.
This Interest Group is chaired by Franck Le Petit
, vice-chair is Rick Wagner
Protocols to access simulations
In the following we refer these protocols generically as Simulatuion Data Access Layer
). Currentlly there are two types of SimDAL
flavors (depending on its IVOA status)
- TIG developments: Current developments try to converge to a possible common access protocol (that should include TSAP at the end). Current working protocols are:
The Simulation Data Model largely relies on concepts. These concepts are organized in SKOS vocabularies following the Semantic Working Group recommendations. Semantic vocabulary
needed to find/define different kinds of theoretical data
Simulation Data Base
SimDB developments (structure table in progress)
General data model for describing simulations. The version 1.0 has been recommended on May 3rd 2012.
Most results of this effort can now be found in the volute SVN repository
on GoogleCode, originally set up by Norman Gray.
All comments received during the various RFC periods for the version 1.0 can be found http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/IVOATheorySimDMspec
SimDM/DM : all the documents for the specification during the preparation are there
but please look at http://ivoa.net/Documents/SimDM/
for the last and recommended version.
Theory Group Meetings
Follow these links to the Theory IG meetings - especially those at the IVOA Inter Op meetings. Here you will find the presentations made at those particular events.
Following the IVOA interoperability meeting in Cambridge, MA, USA May 2004, the various national VO's have assigned one or two contact persons for dealing with theory issues, representing the theory interest group to their community and vice versa, representing their community to the theory interest group. The following is the current list of these contact persons with their affiliation and e-mail addresses:
This section aims to provide a poor-man's registry containing links to VO-like efforts in the field of theory. The format of the table is preliminary. Country may not be important, contacts should be added or confirmed.
- General working-group discussion archive.
During the interoperability meeting in Kyoto, 2005, it was decided that science use cases will be defined by a various members of the theory group. These were to be posted and used to extract requirements for the various IVOA working groups. A link to a page listing the submitted workpages can be accessed here