Difference: InterOpMay2008ResReg (1 vs. 16)

Revision 162012-06-26 - root

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, [[http://www.astrogrid.org/wiki/Home/AboutAGDesktop][VODesktop] using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

A question on keeping or not "SkyNode" in the schema roadmap started a review of the schema responsibilities :

  • SimpleConeSearch and SimpleImageAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status by the Registry WG.
  • SkyNode is also under the Registry WG, but the effort to make it a REC will be reviewed when we get to it.
  • SimpleSpectralAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status conjointly by the Registry and DAL WG.
  • All other schema extensions are the responsibility of each Spec authors and should be attached to the Spec.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on the schema roadmap, VOResource TWiki page with extension How-To, "what makes an extension schema IVOA official" and the risks involved in multiple schema versions (see Session 1 Notes above for more infos on this).

Discussions on proposed modifications to the VODataService schema :

  • All proposed modifications on the last slide of above PowerPoint presentation are accepted, except following point.
  • Doug Tody's proposition to change "table" 's "role" attribute is postponed, depends on the result of the TAP discussions. (questions on the utility of the table/view separation)
  • Matthew Graham proposed to add an optional "responseURL" to the "sampleQuery" pointing to the expected result -- accepted.
  • Guy Rixon presented more substantial modifications for the TAP/QL protocol (see schema posted on above VODataService TWiki page). (confusion on astro- / database- usage of "Catalogue")
TAP required modifications will be reviewed further and follow the protocol evolutions and discussions over the summer.

First half of discussion on Gretchen Greene's proposition to add an optional ADQL/VOTable search query method to the Registry interface. The idea is to have something similar to TAP query using the SELECT part of ADQL with XPaths/UTypes in String form, getting the result in flat VOTable for easier client access to simple Resources common values. The RM values returned would be queried for, not determined by the Registry. Agreement it is an interesting idea, with quite a few technical difficulties. Further talks in Session 3.

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Presentation by Norman Gray on Controlled Vocabularies with Registries (see above presentation).

  • Suggestion to add a multiple optional "subjectURI" element to VOResource to contain the vocabulary pointers (backward compatible).
  • Proposition from Guy Rixon to use the already present "subject" element and have the special behavior when the value is an actual URI.
  • Norman Gray agrees as long as it is technically viable, all agree second option is preferred if it is the only change request, first otherwise.

Short presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM). Questions from Laurent Michel on the implementation and other details, Aurelien Stebe couldn't answer with precision and advised to contact Ray Plante directly.

Future roadmap, target dates and documents were discussed. See below PowerPoint file of the closing plenary session for the details.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) and short discussion on Future of ADQL for Registries. Aurelien Stebe presented the opinion and propositions of the ESA. Quite a few technical difficulties to deal with, but the approach should allow for a lot of code sharing with a TAP implementation. The issue is broader than the Registry WG and touches ADQL, VOTable, UTypes, UFIs ... Francois Ochsenbein noted that UTypes/UFIs should allow for fixed mapping and not dynamic parsing ; all agreed, but might not be possible due to DataModel. No decision taken, general feeling is we need working prototypes to prove solutions feasible.

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt


META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="" comment="Plenary 1" date="1225118821" name="IVOAOct08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAOct08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="217600" user="RayPlante" version="1.1"

Revision 152008-10-27 - RayPlante

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, [[http://www.astrogrid.org/wiki/Home/AboutAGDesktop][VODesktop] using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

A question on keeping or not "SkyNode" in the schema roadmap started a review of the schema responsibilities :

  • SimpleConeSearch and SimpleImageAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status by the Registry WG.
  • SkyNode is also under the Registry WG, but the effort to make it a REC will be reviewed when we get to it.
  • SimpleSpectralAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status conjointly by the Registry and DAL WG.
  • All other schema extensions are the responsibility of each Spec authors and should be attached to the Spec.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on the schema roadmap, VOResource TWiki page with extension How-To, "what makes an extension schema IVOA official" and the risks involved in multiple schema versions (see Session 1 Notes above for more infos on this).

Discussions on proposed modifications to the VODataService schema :

  • All proposed modifications on the last slide of above PowerPoint presentation are accepted, except following point.
  • Doug Tody's proposition to change "table" 's "role" attribute is postponed, depends on the result of the TAP discussions. (questions on the utility of the table/view separation)
  • Matthew Graham proposed to add an optional "responseURL" to the "sampleQuery" pointing to the expected result -- accepted.
  • Guy Rixon presented more substantial modifications for the TAP/QL protocol (see schema posted on above VODataService TWiki page). (confusion on astro- / database- usage of "Catalogue")
TAP required modifications will be reviewed further and follow the protocol evolutions and discussions over the summer.

First half of discussion on Gretchen Greene's proposition to add an optional ADQL/VOTable search query method to the Registry interface. The idea is to have something similar to TAP query using the SELECT part of ADQL with XPaths/UTypes in String form, getting the result in flat VOTable for easier client access to simple Resources common values. The RM values returned would be queried for, not determined by the Registry. Agreement it is an interesting idea, with quite a few technical difficulties. Further talks in Session 3.

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Presentation by Norman Gray on Controlled Vocabularies with Registries (see above presentation).

  • Suggestion to add a multiple optional "subjectURI" element to VOResource to contain the vocabulary pointers (backward compatible).
  • Proposition from Guy Rixon to use the already present "subject" element and have the special behavior when the value is an actual URI.
  • Norman Gray agrees as long as it is technically viable, all agree second option is preferred if it is the only change request, first otherwise.

Short presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM). Questions from Laurent Michel on the implementation and other details, Aurelien Stebe couldn't answer with precision and advised to contact Ray Plante directly.

Future roadmap, target dates and documents were discussed. See below PowerPoint file of the closing plenary session for the details.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) and short discussion on Future of ADQL for Registries. Aurelien Stebe presented the opinion and propositions of the ESA. Quite a few technical difficulties to deal with, but the approach should allow for a lot of code sharing with a TAP implementation. The issue is broader than the Registry WG and touches ADQL, VOTable, UTypes, UFIs ... Francois Ochsenbein noted that UTypes/UFIs should allow for fixed mapping and not dynamic parsing ; all agreed, but might not be possible due to DataModel. No decision taken, general feeling is we need working prototypes to prove solutions feasible.

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt


<--  
-->
Added:
>
>
 
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="" comment="Plenary 1" date="1225118821" name="IVOAOct08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAOct08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="217600" user="RayPlante" version="1.1"
 

Revision 142008-10-21 - NoelWinstanley

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

Changed:
<
<
  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
>
>
  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, [[http://www.astrogrid.org/wiki/Home/AboutAGDesktop][VODesktop] using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
 
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

A question on keeping or not "SkyNode" in the schema roadmap started a review of the schema responsibilities :

  • SimpleConeSearch and SimpleImageAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status by the Registry WG.
  • SkyNode is also under the Registry WG, but the effort to make it a REC will be reviewed when we get to it.
  • SimpleSpectralAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status conjointly by the Registry and DAL WG.
  • All other schema extensions are the responsibility of each Spec authors and should be attached to the Spec.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on the schema roadmap, VOResource TWiki page with extension How-To, "what makes an extension schema IVOA official" and the risks involved in multiple schema versions (see Session 1 Notes above for more infos on this).

Discussions on proposed modifications to the VODataService schema :

  • All proposed modifications on the last slide of above PowerPoint presentation are accepted, except following point.
  • Doug Tody's proposition to change "table" 's "role" attribute is postponed, depends on the result of the TAP discussions. (questions on the utility of the table/view separation)
  • Matthew Graham proposed to add an optional "responseURL" to the "sampleQuery" pointing to the expected result -- accepted.
  • Guy Rixon presented more substantial modifications for the TAP/QL protocol (see schema posted on above VODataService TWiki page). (confusion on astro- / database- usage of "Catalogue")
TAP required modifications will be reviewed further and follow the protocol evolutions and discussions over the summer.

First half of discussion on Gretchen Greene's proposition to add an optional ADQL/VOTable search query method to the Registry interface. The idea is to have something similar to TAP query using the SELECT part of ADQL with XPaths/UTypes in String form, getting the result in flat VOTable for easier client access to simple Resources common values. The RM values returned would be queried for, not determined by the Registry. Agreement it is an interesting idea, with quite a few technical difficulties. Further talks in Session 3.

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Presentation by Norman Gray on Controlled Vocabularies with Registries (see above presentation).

  • Suggestion to add a multiple optional "subjectURI" element to VOResource to contain the vocabulary pointers (backward compatible).
  • Proposition from Guy Rixon to use the already present "subject" element and have the special behavior when the value is an actual URI.
  • Norman Gray agrees as long as it is technically viable, all agree second option is preferred if it is the only change request, first otherwise.

Short presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM). Questions from Laurent Michel on the implementation and other details, Aurelien Stebe couldn't answer with precision and advised to contact Ray Plante directly.

Future roadmap, target dates and documents were discussed. See below PowerPoint file of the closing plenary session for the details.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) and short discussion on Future of ADQL for Registries. Aurelien Stebe presented the opinion and propositions of the ESA. Quite a few technical difficulties to deal with, but the approach should allow for a lot of code sharing with a TAP implementation. The issue is broader than the Registry WG and touches ADQL, VOTable, UTypes, UFIs ... Francois Ochsenbein noted that UTypes/UFIs should allow for fixed mapping and not dynamic parsing ; all agreed, but might not be possible due to DataModel. No decision taken, general feeling is we need working prototypes to prove solutions feasible.

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 132008-06-10 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

A question on keeping or not "SkyNode" in the schema roadmap started a review of the schema responsibilities :

  • SimpleConeSearch and SimpleImageAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status by the Registry WG.
  • SkyNode is also under the Registry WG, but the effort to make it a REC will be reviewed when we get to it.
  • SimpleSpectralAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status conjointly by the Registry and DAL WG.
  • All other schema extensions are the responsibility of each Spec authors and should be attached to the Spec.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on the schema roadmap, VOResource TWiki page with extension How-To, "what makes an extension schema IVOA official" and the risks involved in multiple schema versions (see Session 1 Notes above for more infos on this).

Discussions on proposed modifications to the VODataService schema :

  • All proposed modifications on the last slide of above PowerPoint presentation are accepted, except following point.
  • Doug Tody's proposition to change "table" 's "role" attribute is postponed, depends on the result of the TAP discussions. (questions on the utility of the table/view separation)
  • Matthew Graham proposed to add an optional "responseURL" to the "sampleQuery" pointing to the expected result -- accepted.
  • Guy Rixon presented more substantial modifications for the TAP/QL protocol (see schema posted on above VODataService TWiki page). (confusion on astro- / database- usage of "Catalogue")
TAP required modifications will be reviewed further and follow the protocol evolutions and discussions over the summer.

First half of discussion on Gretchen Greene's proposition to add an optional ADQL/VOTable search query method to the Registry interface. The idea is to have something similar to TAP query using the SELECT part of ADQL with XPaths/UTypes in String form, getting the result in flat VOTable for easier client access to simple Resources common values. The RM values returned would be queried for, not determined by the Registry. Agreement it is an interesting idea, with quite a few technical difficulties. Further talks in Session 3.

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Added:
>
>
Presentation by Norman Gray on Controlled Vocabularies with Registries (see above presentation).
  • Suggestion to add a multiple optional "subjectURI" element to VOResource to contain the vocabulary pointers (backward compatible).
  • Proposition from Guy Rixon to use the already present "subject" element and have the special behavior when the value is an actual URI.
  • Norman Gray agrees as long as it is technically viable, all agree second option is preferred if it is the only change request, first otherwise.

Short presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM). Questions from Laurent Michel on the implementation and other details, Aurelien Stebe couldn't answer with precision and advised to contact Ray Plante directly.

Future roadmap, target dates and documents were discussed. See below PowerPoint file of the closing plenary session for the details.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) and short discussion on Future of ADQL for Registries. Aurelien Stebe presented the opinion and propositions of the ESA. Quite a few technical difficulties to deal with, but the approach should allow for a lot of code sharing with a TAP implementation. The issue is broader than the Registry WG and touches ADQL, VOTable, UTypes, UFIs ... Francois Ochsenbein noted that UTypes/UFIs should allow for fixed mapping and not dynamic parsing ; all agreed, but might not be possible due to DataModel. No decision taken, general feeling is we need working prototypes to prove solutions feasible.

 

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 122008-06-10 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

Added:
>
>
A question on keeping or not "SkyNode" in the schema roadmap started a review of the schema responsibilities :
  • SimpleConeSearch and SimpleImageAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status by the Registry WG.
  • SkyNode is also under the Registry WG, but the effort to make it a REC will be reviewed when we get to it.
  • SimpleSpectralAccess will be completed and pushed to REC status conjointly by the Registry and DAL WG.
  • All other schema extensions are the responsibility of each Spec authors and should be attached to the Spec.

Presentation (see above PowerPoint file) on the schema roadmap, VOResource TWiki page with extension How-To, "what makes an extension schema IVOA official" and the risks involved in multiple schema versions (see Session 1 Notes above for more infos on this).

Discussions on proposed modifications to the VODataService schema :

  • All proposed modifications on the last slide of above PowerPoint presentation are accepted, except following point.
  • Doug Tody's proposition to change "table" 's "role" attribute is postponed, depends on the result of the TAP discussions. (questions on the utility of the table/view separation)
  • Matthew Graham proposed to add an optional "responseURL" to the "sampleQuery" pointing to the expected result -- accepted.
  • Guy Rixon presented more substantial modifications for the TAP/QL protocol (see schema posted on above VODataService TWiki page). (confusion on astro- / database- usage of "Catalogue")
TAP required modifications will be reviewed further and follow the protocol evolutions and discussions over the summer.

First half of discussion on Gretchen Greene's proposition to add an optional ADQL/VOTable search query method to the Registry interface. The idea is to have something similar to TAP query using the SELECT part of ADQL with XPaths/UTypes in String form, getting the result in flat VOTable for easier client access to simple Resources common values. The RM values returned would be queried for, not determined by the Registry. Agreement it is an interesting idea, with quite a few technical difficulties. Further talks in Session 3.

 

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 112008-05-23 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe ppt
 
<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211547947" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary2.ppt" size="171520" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
 

Revision 102008-05-23 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt
>
>
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt
 

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
>
>
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
 
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
>
>
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
 
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Changed:
<
<
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
>
>
Astronomical Visualization Metadata (AVM) Aurelien Stebe ppt
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe ppt
 
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  
 
<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 92008-05-23 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535389" name="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" path="IVOAMay08IVOAaboutAVM.ppt" size="104960" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211535419" name="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGADQLVOTable.ppt" size="99840" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
 

Revision 82008-05-23 - NormanGray

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
>
>
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray pdf
 
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Norman: vocabularies in the registry" date="1211528137" name="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" path="norman-reg-vocab.pdf" size="70733" user="NormanGray" version="1.1"
 

Revision 72008-05-22 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
Changed:
<
<
VODataService Guy Rixon  
>
>
VODataService Guy Rixon see end of TWiki page
for proposed schema
 
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 62008-05-22 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe ppt
 
VODataService Guy Rixon  
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211467064" name="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" path="IVOAMay08VORExtension.ppt" size="153088" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
 

Revision 52008-05-22 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Reports by the various Registry Providers :

  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
VODataService Guy Rixon  
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes

Added:
>
>

Plenary 2 (Friday, 14.30)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Report Aurelien Stebe  
 
<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 42008-05-22 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
...    

Notes

Added:
>
>
Reports by the various Registry Providers :
  • Kevin Benson (Astrogrid) : over a year working, VODesktop using it, support for VOSI, XQuery interface (see presentation for more details).
  • Gretchen Greene (NVO/STScI) : RofR is a big success, watch closely how clients will handle the new multiple capabilities services resources.
  • Matthew Graham (NVO/Caltech) : issue with UTF-8 not correctly encoded on some resources; ask Ray if this can be added to the Validator.
  • Sebastien Derriere (CDS) : Validator is very useful, less resources than before (nearly half, using service-centric, rather than table-centric).
All Registry Providers reported minor glitches with specific resources; (nearly)-all were fixed; was to be expected, nothing too serious.

Talks on the "xsi:type" issue and general namespace short-names :

  • Proposition from Kevin Benson to mandate the namespace short-names (scs:, sia:, ssa:) for easier querying and XPath resolving.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use VOStandard to register those in the RofR just like the "standardID".
  • General agreement that it would ease things for many people, and to investigate/test this until next InterOp and report there.

Proposition to have the Validator run periodically instead of single run on registration. Comment by Thomas McGlynn that this is in the work at NVO using Ray's Validator. Comments to have it fill a report page on the RofR webpage or even fill the "validationLevel" element.

Report by Evanthia Hatziminaoglou of the ESO SSAP resource not being transfered correctly to other Registries because of space characters in the identifier. Problem will be resolved after the session.

Thomas McGlynn asking if there is a date planned to encourage client applications implementations to transfer to the new Registries. Consult with Ray Plante.

Confirmation of agreements talked about on the mailing list concerning "deleted" records :

  • "deleted" records are allowed to be actually dropped completely after 6 months
  • GetResource and XQuerySearch are the only two Search methods returning "deleted" resources
  • calls to OAI harvesting methods should return "current" resources (not "deleted") if no date filter is used
Kevin Benson to add those to the RI document before it goes to RFC.

Talks about the "multiple schema versions" issue :

  • Clients must check the namespaces for versions they support.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to send a mail from the Registry WG to the Applications WG informing application implementors of the issue.
  • Proposition from Gretchen Greene to have the Registry list all the namespaces it might return on a search query inside its resource record.
  • Proposition from Aurelien Stebe to use a test Registry (isolated from the rest) with multiple schema versions for client application tests.
  • List of known client applications using the Registry : VODesktop, Aladin, VOSpec, a VOTech tool (to check).
 

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
VODataService Guy Rixon  
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

See the Grid and WebServices page

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
...    

Notes


<--  
-->

META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"

Revision 32008-05-22 - AurelienStebe

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Added:
>
>
 
Changed:
<
<

Plenary 1 (Monday 11.00)

>
>

Plenary 1 (Monday, 11.00)

 
Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe ppt
 

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

Changed:
<
<
In this session, we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.
>
>
In this session we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.
 
Topic Presenter Materials
Changed:
<
<
Intro, ESAC status Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
Deleted:
<
<
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
NVO status Gretchen Green  
 
...    

Notes

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
Changed:
<
<
VODataService Aurelien Stebe  
>
>
VODataService Guy Rixon  
 
...    

Notes

Changed:
<
<

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

>
>

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

 
Changed:
<
<

Notes

>
>
See the Grid and WebServices page
 
Added:
>
>

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

 
Deleted:
<
<

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

 
Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Changed:
<
<
Future of ADQL for registries    
Alternate Response Formats    
>
>
Future of ADQL for Registries Aurelien Stebe  
Alternate Response Formats Gretchen Greene  
Added:
>
>
...    
 

Notes


<--  
-->
Deleted:
<
<
 
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="" date="1211452551" name="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" path="IVOAMay08RWGPlenary1.ppt" size="184832" user="AurelienStebe" version="1.1"
 

Revision 22008-05-19 - KevinBenson

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe  

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session, we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, ESAC status Aurelien Stebe  
Changed:
<
<
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson  
>
>
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson pdf
 
NVO status Gretchen Green  
...    

Notes

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
VODataService Aurelien Stebe  
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

Notes

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for registries    
Alternate Response Formats    

Notes


<--  
-->
Added:
>
>
META FILEATTACHMENT attr="h" comment="Astrogrid Status" date="1211200052" name="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" path="Trieste_IVOA.pdf" size="61045" user="KevinBenson" version="1.1"
 

Revision 12008-05-18 - RayPlante

 
META TOPICPARENT name="InterOpMay2008"
Jumps: IvoaResReg :: registry mail archive :: ResourceMetadata :: VOResource :: VODataService :: RegistryInterface
Meetings: InterOpMay2008ResReg :: InterOpSep2007ResReg :: InterOpMay2007ResReg

Registry Sessions at the May 2008 Interoperability Meeting

Moderator: Aurelien Stebe

Plenary 1 (Monday 11.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Status & Goals Aurelien Stebe  

Reg 1: Integration and Interoperability (Monday, 14.30)

In this session, we will discuss any remaining issues related to our transition to the v1.0 Registry Interfaces standard. If you would like to formally present a report or raise issues, please add your name to the agenda below.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, ESAC status Aurelien Stebe  
Astrogrid status Kevin Benson  
NVO status Gretchen Green  
...    

Notes

Reg 2: Registry Extensions (Tuesday, 11.00)

In this session we will primarily discuss the standardization of various registry extension schemas, primarily VODataService and VOStandard. Revisions to VODataService will require an uprev of the schema to version 1.1, so we will also discuss if there are any issues supporting v1.0 and v1.1 simultaneously.

Topic Presenter Materials
Intro, versioning schemas Aurelien Stebe  
VODataService Aurelien Stebe  
...    

Notes

Joint Session: VOSI (Thursday, 16.30)

Notes

Reg 3: Future Directions (Friday, 9.00)

Topic Presenter Materials
Controlled Vocabularies with Registries Norman Gray  
Future of ADQL for registries    
Alternate Response Formats    

Notes


<--  
-->
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback