IVOA Executive Committee Meeting (TM93)

when: Sep 15, 2020

Time: 14:30 (UTC)


Logistic

https://smithsonian.zoom.us/j/92300715225?pwd=N0svd1hmbG1jQkt0QkdJWGx1VGVHUT09

Meeting ID: 923 0071 5225

Passcode: 240939


Agenda TM93

  1. Roll Call and Agenda
  2. CODATA initiatives on units of measure - R Hanisch
  3. Minutes of TM92
  4. Review of Exec ACTIONS
  5. Project Reports [Significant Events Only]
  6. Overall CSP report
  7. Overall TCG Status
  8. Approval of new IVOA Recommendation(s) [Standing Item]
    1. Time Domain IG - D Morris (V Chair) - (5/2020) No renewal left
    2. Theory - Chair (G Lemson) requests a V Chair (not filled)
    3. Solar System IG - Babtiste Cecconi Chair (5/2020) Eligible for 1 year extension
  9. IAU-OAD project "Astronomy from Archival Data" partnership with IVOA
  10. Request for an ivoa.net subdomain (documents.ivoa.net)
  11. Future Interop meetings - Northern Fall Virtual Meeting (Wk of Nov 16)
    1. Draft of Email #2 on Fall meeting in TCG section below - w/ week plan suggestion
  12. AOB
  13. Date of next Exec meeting
  14. Review of New Action Items

Reports from the Projects

Argentina-NOVA

ArVO

AstroGrid

Australia-VO (ASVO)

The five nodes of the ASVO has been very active in the last few months. Here are some of the highlights:

  • AAO Data Central
  1. Developed and deployed a new SIAv2 service (written in python)
  2. Implementing ObsCoreDM for the Anglo-Australian Telescope archive (data going back to 1974)
  3. Developing automated data reduction pipeline, to be available to all hosted telescope archives
  4. Developing an SSA service, integrated with telescope archive service, so that reduced spectra are available
  5. Working on grant proposal to fund SimDM development effort
  • SkyMapper
  1. Data Release 2 of the Southern Sky Survey now world accessible through TAP and SIA
  2. Data Release 4 to be release in around 2-3 months, with rebuilt SIA service backend
  • Theoretical Astrophysical Observatory
  1. Developing 3D visualisation system for simulated data (light cones etc)
  2. New Genesis premade catalogues now available in the system: SHARK, Meraxes, SAGE & Dark SAGE
  • MWA
  1. Web portal rebuilt and released into production, including SSO service linked to Data Central
  2. Evaluating Rucio, which is CERN's distributed data management system; unclear if VOSpace can sit on top of this system
  3. Data in archive is coming up against 40PB allocation; need to do some cleaning up
  • CASDA
  1. Updated casda_vo_tools package on Github, including bug fixes and minor changes
  2. Implemented astroquery.casda module, which includes region queries
  3. Ingesting large amounts of ASKAP data, including POSSUM, WALLABY, GASKAP, and RACS
  4. Last week CASDA ran a series of tutorials on using the system, including TAP, SIA and astroquery.casda

BRAVO

China-VO

ChiVO

CVO

  • Presenting 'Roadmap of IVOA' in 3-minute 'lightening' talk at WDS User Virtual Forum 2020.
  • Presenting CAOM2 and ObsCore concepts to the WDS ITO HMetS WG Europe and Asia meetings at end of September.
  • IVOA RoR is up and running on CADC systems. Waiting for a SSL Certificate to enable https. Next step is to fold into CADC maintenance.
  • Presented concept for CANFAR Author Driven DOI service at AAS Publications Committee Meeting.

Euro_VO

Euro VO activities continue in the ESCAPE project which is coming up for mid-term review in Q3 2020. This project is facilitating the development and implementation of VO technologies in the large astronomy infrastructures (labelled ESFRI in Europe). The training activities have been impacted by COVID-19 which has prevented the hands-on VO school being held. Options for a virtual event are being investigated. A list of activities can be found one the ESCAPE WP4 wiki pages (https://wiki.escape2020.de/index.php/WP4_-_CEVO).

ESA

France VO

GAVO

HVO

JVO

RVO

SA^3

SVO

Vo-India

Vobs.it

A report on the work performed by VObs.it for the management of IVOA documentation services, the management of IVOA Documents and mailing archive, and the transfer of the IVOA Registry of Registries (service and management) to CADC is available ( report_TM93.pdf).

Ukraine_VO

USVOA

Report from the TCG

  • From last meeting
    • DM : Meas/Coords models and preparing for RFC2
      • Long discussion at TCG meeting on Jun 11; reinforced need for software implementation of DMs before REC approval; Shows reviewers that models are designed in support of a problem it is meant to solve
      • Request of the Exec is to make resources available who are able to prototype code exercising data models in applications utilities. These resources can work either directly with the data model teams, or via the applications working group.
  • Fall Interop -
    • Sent Summer notice and Post-summer reminder to Interop email group - Save the date
      • One change for fall we plan to make is to allow >1 contributed talk in a session (~20 min category)
    • We suggest starting Monday night/Tuesday and running until Wed night/Thursday.

      That would be "night" west coast since dateline is in pacific. So late Mon to late Wed for west coast, morning T-Th for Europe, and late afternoon T-Th for Asia/Aus. That's mostly T-Th.

Dear VO Community,

This is a 2nd reminder to inform you that the *IVOA Northern Fall Interop meeting will be Nov 16-20* and ask you to "Save the Date" to participate in the meeting.

The meeting organization will be similar to our May Interop meeting. We will use Zoom as our shared remote service, and Etherpad for live notes and questions. We are planning to keep presentations to a single thread (no parallel sessions) and save a good amount of the time for your input and discussion. Sessions will be recorded and posted so that if you miss a session you can go back and view it. We will work to schedule sessions with reasonable times during the day for 2 of the 3 sessions a day in your time zone.

We envision asking the community for topics/presentations as we did last time and welcome your participation. We plan to make a slight adjustment to the Northern spring meeting and welcome the option of smaller presentations with >1 presenter in a session.

We are meeting now and will followup with more details in a few weeks.

We look forward to another engaging IVOA meeting in November.

Best Regards,
-Janet & Pat
(for the IVOA TCG)

Report from the Working Groups

EduIG

The first EduIG VM was held successfully on Aug 31. At the virtual meeting we want to exchange experiences we made with remote teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic around the globe. Roughly following the COVID-19 outbreak timeline, 7 speakers were invited from 5 different continents to share their experiences and feelings. Feedback for the VM are very positive. It was the result of close collaboration among IVOA EduIG, IAU DAEPO WG and IAU OAD office. Further collaboration projects were initiated at the workshop. The following discussion has started.

Topic attachments
I Attachment Action Size Date Who Comment
PDFpdf VObsIT_report_TM93.pdf manage 394.5 K 2020-09-15 - 14:17 FabioPasian Report on migration of IVOA documentation facilities and RofR
PDFpdf actions-for-tm93-20200915.pdf manage 34.1 K 2020-09-24 - 15:52 JanetEvans  
PDFpdf report_TM93.pdf manage 394.5 K 2020-09-15 - 15:05 FabioPasian  
Topic revision: r19 - 2020-09-24 - JanetEvans
 
This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright © 2008-2020 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback